The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Saturday 16 July 2011

Tea in the garden on a little Welsh quilt

This week has been very hectic as we have been filming video demonstrations for my ebook which is to be launched at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham next month.

I have developed my own way of working based on how I believe 19th century Welsh quilters worked   We don't really know how they did things because almost nothing has been recorded, so there is a great deal of guess work involved. I like to think that I quilt in an ''organic" way (new word for quilting), in that I mark my quilting patterns as I go along and use very simple tools to form my motifs as the old quilters did and I will be demonstrating this in the videos.


We had great fun styling the shots and this is a picture of one of the projects together with one of my little tea sets.

3 comments:

Shirley said...

I love the simplicity of your quilt Mary and the lovely quilting on it. The ebook sounds interesting.

Nicky said...

This looks very inviting! An e-book sounds interesting - just as well we have you to investigate and document this tradition as otherwise it may be lost forever

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the ebook! I'm always recommending that Welsh quilting book to people, and incidentally am in the throes of finishing my first sort-of-Welsh quilt (American piecing but thoroughly Welsh quilting). After a block swap quilt which I need to polish off for charity, I'll be doing a Welsh wholecloth for a friend's baby.

"Organic" sounds right to me. It's not quite improvisational, you're following a tradition which is stylised and very geometric, but at the same time there's this natural flow to it and the whole process.