The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Sunday 11 November 2012

Latest discovered patchwork coverlet

Lately I have been spending far too much time browsing online and pinning but good things do appear -


I found this on the Bonhams website which doesn't have a very good facility for saving pictures or pinning but if you click this link you will be able to zoom in and have a better look.

It was sold last year for £936 and it's obvious that they didn't know much about it as it is just described as -

A  very large early 19th century cotton chintz patchwork quilt featuring a Mariner's Compass and star centre surrounded by a deep border of hexagons, smaller Mariner's Compasses and diamonds, of cream cotton and printed cotton chintzes of many colours and designs, backed with bue cotton, 285 x 328cm.
 
It doesn't appear to be quilted and doesn't look in particularly good condition but what a tour de force?  I am always delighted to find one of these early patchworks and am facinated by the intricacy and marvel at how long it must have taken to make one.


 

9 comments:

fabriquefantastique said...

don't often comment, but I always enjoy your blog.

Every Stitch said...

Wow! a wonderful quilt indeed! Thanks for the post :) Every Stitch

Karen Styles said...

I too love interesting antique quilts, especially English based frame quilts. You may like to have a look at my blog to see what I have been working on lately.

amanda white said...

Oh this is lovely Mary. Reminds me of one I pinned recently. Similar wonderfully faded palette.
Thank you, as ever.
xxx

Marie said...

What a work of art! It is just spectacular - thanks for sharing.

Robin said...

What an amazing coverlet. It makes me sad that it was never finished into something bed worthy. Makes me wonder what wonderful tops this maker actually did get finished and used.

Shirley said...

What a fabulous quilt. I wonder who bought it and if it will appear as a modern pattern. It certainly was made by a skilled person.

Jean Carlton said...

Absolutely stunning. I am working on a mariner's compass medallion framed quilt but it pales in comparison...but what wouldn't? I wish it was quilted. I wonder how she would have done it?
thanks

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Mary. I always enjoy seeing the quilts you discover. This one is so labor intensive--wow! A real beauty!
best, nadia